Friday, December 30, 2011

2012 with Molly Ivins

Who's With Me?

Happy 2012!  I refuse to make New Year's resolutions; if you really want to do something, you don't need a specific or ceremonial day to actually do it.  I once read that 80% of these resolutions fail by January 20th.    Considering the how long the GOP 2012 "front runner status" seems to last in this 24-hour news cycle, 20 days seems about right.  Instead of a resolution, I'm embarking on a journey and inviting the Underpants Family to c'mon along.

In 1993 Molly Ivins published Nothin' but Good Times Ahead a "best of" Molly columns from the early 90's. I found a much-loved, dog-eared, underlined, margin-written in copy at a local bookshop - clearly my kinda book!  

It struck me like a salt water wave in the face that 20 years later we are still having the same discussions. Sure, some of the players are different, some of the places are have changed - but it's still spot on. I'm not sure if that means Molly is "timeless" or We the People and our politic and our governance are stuck in time.  Let's figure that out together this coming year.

In 2012, "Progressive Underpants" will be highlighting two of Molly's musings each month.  I invite you, dear reader, to join the journey and the conversation.  

True, it's not as ambitious as cooking through Julia Child's recipes but it might be a hell of a lot more fun - and a lot less to clean up.






No comments:

Post a Comment